First words
I can’t quite remember when it was that Isabelle started to make sounds that actually sounded like she was really trying to say something…you know, the ‘da da’ or ‘ma ma’. She hasn’t ever related the ‘da da’ to Steve or ‘ma ma’ to me, but she still says it daily and we somehow hope that one day she’ll make the connection. But over the past few days I’ve noticed that there might be a word that she says long before I hear her calling out for me…the word ‘No’. I mean, she hears it countless times each and every day, why wouldn’t it be her first word??
“No Isabelle, don’t hit the TV”…immediately followed by…”No, don’t turn the PVR off!!”
“No, no, no…remote controls aren’t for babies” (either are phones…of the house or cell variety)
“No, no, no…don’t throw your food on the floor”
“No, no, no…be gentle with the dogs”
I could go on and on!! But it just occurred to me tonight at dinner time when she was sitting in her high chair saying “Nnno-nno-nno-nno-nno-nno!!” that her first word is going to be NO, and not mommy like I had intended. You might be getting the impression from this post that Isabelle might be a bit of a handful, but she’s actually pretty easy going most of the time. But that other small percentage of the time she really likes to get into things that she shouldn’t…just like any other almost 1 year old. She’s mobile, she’s quick and she’s small enough to get into places that I otherwise wouldn’t have thought she could crawl into (and have a hard time getting her out of).
The worse part of all this is that she seems to laugh at me when I try to discipline her. How do you discipline a 1 year old and keep a straight face when she’s smiling back at you…laughing?!?!? Every day seems to bring a new adventure since she seems to be learning something new on a daily basis. I suppose I shouldn’t really complain since she’s normally so good, but I can definitely see that toddler stage coming. And if her first word is NO…I’m positive she’s not the first!!


2 Comments:
At 5:37 PM,
Sara said…
Haha - I loved this post! Apparently my first word was 'no' and I'm told I was a very well-behaved baby ;)
At 6:20 AM,
Deb said…
LOL...loved the post. I'm surprised Austin's first word wasn't no...we're always saying 'no don't turn off the tv', 'no phones aren't for babies' too.
But the crawling into places you wouldn't have thought of is what really made me laugh -- wait a few more months until she's too big to fit in those spaces, but doesn't realize it and gets stuck! That's what Austin does now, and I try so hard not to laugh every time I have to rescue him.
Post a Comment
<< Home