We are all sad, sad, sad...
A lot of stuff has been going on lately, but no, this isn't my usual excuse for why I haven't been blogging. I've actually been bored with the blog and uninspired to do anything with it. Isabelle is walking...that's HUGE news that should have made it to the blog, but nope...maybe later.
What has been consuming us lately is that my chubby bunny, my Harley doodle, my super sweet, snuggly, gentle-hearted puppy has been sick. So sick in fact that we put her down yesterday. It's a long story as to what led us down this road, but the short version is that she had a disease that there was no cure for, and unfortunately we don't own millions of dollars to keep pumping into our vet's bank account. And just so it doesn't seem heartless..it wasn't actually a money issue, it was a 'dealing with a sick puppy that's never gonna get better' issue. After trying many rounds of medication her body seemed to not want to respond, and in the last week things had gotten a lot worse.
It hasn't been 24 hours yet and I still have the same knot in my stomach and don't think I slept last night...I miss her terribly, and to add to the stress of all this I'm SUPER DUPER STRESSED about how Caesar is going to handle this when he realizes that his buddy isn't coming home ever again. He's currently on a mini vacation at Grandma's for a couple of days...we're hoping that this might help him deal with being away from Harley (they've spent almost every moment together since they were both 6 weeks old).
I know that a lot of people out there might say that 'it's just a dog', but to us they weren't just dogs. Both Caesar and Harley converted Steve into a fabulous 'dog person' and anyone that knows us well knows that they were a huge part of our family and we loved them madly. I never thought this day would come...
We took a few (hundred) pictures of Harley in the last couple of days...most of them goofy one's (ie. Harley playing in Izzie's playhouse!!) but we'll all never forget our last few days together playing in the backyard. I also couldn't resist putting a picture of her a few years ago (much chubbier than she's been lately). We used to be pretty strict about not letting the dogs on the furniture, but these old couches soon became Harley's couch and she'd lay on the couch even if you happen to get underneath her!
I know that a lot of people out there might say that 'it's just a dog', but to us they weren't just dogs. Both Caesar and Harley converted Steve into a fabulous 'dog person' and anyone that knows us well knows that they were a huge part of our family and we loved them madly. I never thought this day would come...


6 Comments:
At 12:33 PM,
Sera said…
My good vibes to Caesar and the entire family, I know Harley had a great life in a wonderful loving home and enjoyed her time with you. Your happy memories are how she'll live with you for the rest of your years.
At 6:19 AM,
Deb said…
I'm so sorry Kelly...I know how much she meant to you guys. Just remember all the happy times, and remember that you gave her a damn good life.
At 1:34 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hello Kelly, Steve, Izzie, and Caesar. I am very sorry to her about Harley she was a sweet doggie, and I hope caesar takes it alright. Harley's probably up in doggie heaven right now playing with Patches.
At 10:48 AM,
Anonymous said…
Very sad news, so sorry for you guys. I was gettin' choked up just reading your post. I don't think anybody who knows you would think for even a second that Harley was 'just a dog', not even close. We had to put our 12yr old cat down in Feb. 06, under similar circumstances to yours. Hardest thing I think I've ever been through. I'm seriously welling up just thinking about it. I'm not sure it's something you ever get over, more you just move on. You did the right thing. Life just sucks sometimes, so just give yourself some time and distract yourself with your beautiful family!
At 12:05 PM,
Greg said…
Hope things are becoming easier around the house, as mentioned in my email it takes a while, but does get there. Thoughts still with you.
At 9:32 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Kelly, I am so sorry to hear about Harley, I am sure you miss her terribly, but i know she had a great life in the best home she could possiby have. How is Cesar doing? Take care!
Post a Comment
<< Home